Camp Holloway Dispensary

Pleiku, South Vietnam

APO 96318


Home    The Docs    Photos    Where Are They Now    Medic Prayers
Links    Learn About The War    BIRTHDAY CLUB

Where Are They Now

Doctor David L. Acus


HHD Med Det

Lenawee County, Michigan

25 Nov 67 - 24 Nov 68

DOB 7-6-41


David Then


David (with Daughter) Now

David's Bio


After leaving Camp Holloway I finished my US Army tour at Fort Eustis, Va. Next I started my family practice as a solo practitioner in Hillsdale, Michigan, which continued for 21 years. During this time I continued as an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner, got my own pilot’s license, delivered about 600 babies, and with my wife Leah, watched our 4 children grow up! I also served on the local school board and as the county medical examiner.

In 1990 I moved to Lenawee County, Michigan and have served as physician and the ER director at two local hospitals since 1990. Currently I am 2/3 retired, working a few shifts each month. Grandchildren are the current focus of Leah and my lives now. As of June 2009, we have 5 grandchildren – ages 2 thru 6 years old and one in the hatchery – due Sept 2009!

Of interest, I developed deafness and was out of work 9 months in 2005. Fortunately, I received a cochlear implant December 2005, and have had a wonderful result. I am able to work, talk on the telephone, and at my last testing understood 95% of random words presented. That compares with the 15% word understanding before surgery. I struggle in noisy environments, but I am thankful every day for what I have back!

Hobbies include golf and woodworking. I had been playing golf in an American Legion league and enjoying a beer and steak cook out each week (May to Sept) with the “good old boys”! Recently we moved to Ann Arbor to be closer to family so golf has changed to a public league. Woodworking occurs in my garage. Projects include tables, doll house, miniature kitchens, nightstands, chairs, etc.

Doc Lloyd Beemer

755th Med Det

Beverton, OR

Tour in Vietnam ?



Lloyd Then


Lloyd Now

Lloyd's Bio


Prior to induction into the Army was a “medic” working for the Ventura County General Hospital and previously at St. Vincent Hospital in Portland, Oregon. Apparently the Army needed medics, so in 1967 I got my papers. Boot camp was Ft. Lewis, AIT was Fort Sam Houston.

During my leave, just prior to going to Viet Nam, I met my Carol, we wed following my Viet Nam tour and has now been my wife for more than 38 years.

When in Viet Nam, my initial home was Camp Holloway. Shortly following the 1968 Tet Offensive, With Kerry Pardue and Capt. Merrill Merman, moved to Ban Me Thuit. I returned home on Christmas day, second to the last plane to go back to the States.

Desiring to go to school, I graduated from Portland State University with a degree in business and followed that with a Certified Public Account certification and license from the state of Oregon. For most of my career, I was a CPA in public practice.

About nine years ago I left public accounting to return to the hospital system as an internal auditor. I have progressed in this career to where I am now the Compliance and Audit Regional Director for Washington and Montana, for the Providence Health System (this includes the St. Vincent (Hospital) Medical Center that I first began my work experience out of high school).

I guess I was destined to return to the medical field!

Doc Roy Butler

Datil, New Mexico




Roy Then


Roy Now

Roy's Bio


Roy - Please contact me at with your current eMail address - A. J.

Doc Bruce N. Bigley

94th Med Det

Senaca, Missouri

20 June 1967 to 20 June 1968

DOB 10-10-46


Bruce Then


Bruce Now

Bruce's Bio


Well, I was born in Carthage, MO on Oct 10, 1946.  I went to school, grades 1 - 12 in Webb City, MO and graduated from Webb City High in 1964.  I started Joplin Jr College in the fall of 1964, got married in 1965 and quit school in the Fall of 1965.

In January 1966, I reported to the Induction Center the day before I would have been drafted and became RA Bigley.  Basic in Fort Leonard Wood, MO, AIT at Fort Sam Houston - I extended 4 months for C-120 school for Clinical Specialist.  Then it was on to Womac Army Hospital at Fort Bragg, NC then to Camp Holloway Dispensary and the 94th Med Det in 1967 & 1968.  I then was sent to Fort Polk, LA where I departed the Army in April, 1969.

In June of 1969 I worked at Freeman Hospital, Joplin, MO in Respiratory Therapy with an LPN License, until 1975 then as an EEG Tech in Medical Service Dept until 1980.

I then moved to North Myrtle Beach to manage the Restaurant and Lounge at the Oak Tree Inn...which didn't last long.

I tested for the Joplin Fire Department and was hired and stayed for 20 years, but was forced out because of injuries and was topped out in salary.  In 1986, I got divorced.

In 1989, I became re-aquanted with Sondra Jo Stanford Headen (who was the big sis to one of my best friends) and she became my soul mate in july 1989.  We moved in the country in Webb City, MO in 1994 where we are today, raising cattle.  Sondra retired from teaching and built 3 in-home Pre-Schools and sold those about 3 years ago.  I retired in 2002, and I am drawing early retirement from our Uncle Sam and my City Pension.

I am looking forward to hearing from any of you guys - my eMail address is above my picture.

Doc Tony Cop

94th Med Det

Portland, Oregon

Tour in Vietnam January  1968 to February 1969



Tony Then


Tony Now (with 2 grandkids)

Tony's Bio


We had approximately 45 mortar and rocket attacks between January and March of 68. Besides dispensary duty I worked night patrols and took over the supply run from Carl Williams until Jerry Ellis took it later in the year.

Everybody enjoyed the hair raising ride from Pleiku to Qui nan every two or three weeks to pick up medical supplies at the 2/32nd Medical Supply Depot.

When I left the service I went back to being a machinist working on heavy industrial equipment and parts up to 20,000 pounds. I worked on parts for testing the space shuttle engines, jet aircraft engines, steel mill equipment and tire shredding machines.

I'm still married to the girl I was writing to while I was in the service. We have two children and three grandchildren.

I retired in 2006 and I'm having a ball as an ORF (Old Retired Fart). My spare time is spent hunting, fishing and volunteering for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Working on habitat restoration for deer, elk, fish and tons of non-game species is part of what I do. I am also involved in the local rod and gun clubs in the area including being the president of Multnomah Anglers and Hunters Association. We work with the Oregon legislature to draft laws for the propagation of fish and wildlife.

The menu at home includes deer and elk steaks, salmon, trout, steelhead, tuna, occasionally cougar and bear. Rarely do we need to go to the meat market.

My Motto:  "Too many things to do, not enough time"

Doc Dave W. Cuva

755th Med Det

Boardman, OH

5 December 1967 to 31  January 31 1969



Dave Then


Dave Now

Dave's Bio


Before entering the service, I was employed by US Steel in McDonald, Ohio while attending Youngstown State University and lived in Campbell, Ohio.

After my release from the service January 31, 1969 I was hired by General Motors (Argonot Reality Div.) July 1st 1969 to help oversee the construction of a new Fisher Body Stamping Plant, a new van assembly plant and new alpo paint system in the existing assembly plant. At the completion of all construction I was hired into the material department of Fisher Body Plant and July 1st 2007 will be the start of my 39th year. I currently expedite steel and consignments.

I was seeing a Nurse in 1972 and when I put off getting married , she married someone else - end of story. It's now me and Chuck the dog. I have lived in a home in Boardman, Ohio ( suburb of Youngstown) since 1974.

After recently talking to many of our Medic friends, I have finally come home. Glad we are all still here. Welcome Home!

Doc Lynn (Jerry) Ellis


HHD Med Det

Oklahoma City, OK

19 March 1968 to 22 May 1969



Lynn Then


Lynn Now

Lynn's Bio


Drafted in 1967 shortly after high school while working as an assistant produce manager in a local grocery chain in Oklahoma City, While I wasn't happy about being in the military and was uncertain about my feelings on the war in Vietnam, I soon learned the important responsibility of being a medic and 'being there' for our guys. Growing wiser with age and life's experiences, I have the highest respect for all of those who served.

During the first twelve years after returning home I got into the states first Emergency Medical Technicians class, drove an ambulance for 3 yrs, worked in two of our major emergency rooms, taught CPR and First Aid for the Red Cross, and was hired to help get a new emergency room started and trained the E.R. Techs.

Becoming disillusioned with the lowered quality of medical care by so called "Health Care Management" in the early 1980's, and needing to make a decent wage, I went to work for the friend of a doctor who was starting a custom millwork cabinet shop. Ralph Lauren became our most prominant client and we built his stores and clothing departments all across the nation and even a few outside of the country. My employer turned out to be a bad money manager and couldn't keep to a production schedule and lost the whole thing in 1997.

I met Jackie in the early 1970's and helped her raise her 2 yr. old son, Grant, who I'm proud to say is now a very fine young man. He became a paramedic with the fire department. Grant and I, unknowingly, both responded to the bombing of the Oklahoma City Murrah building by Timothy McVeigh. He was on duty training and I was driving to work and responded as a citizen. Jackie and I eventually went our separate ways and my relationships have been realatively shorter every scince.

I learned to sail in 1978 and have sailed many lakes in Oklahoma, Beaver lake in Missouri and Padre Island on the coast of South Texas several times. Sailing has become my passion. I've missed sailing for the last few years as I am trying to recover from an unidentified spinal and nerveous system disorder complicated by arthritis. But I intend to get back into things soon.

I am glad to hear about and am anxious to learn more about as many of you as I can. Hope you are all doing well and enjoying a good life.

Remember our fallen brothers and always support our Troops and First Responders !! God Bless you all.

Doc James Fishburn


755th Med Det

Augusta, GA

Tour in Vietnam ?



Jim Then


Jim Now

Jim's Bio


I Returned from Nam, I was assigned to Ft Bliss Texas and then went to Germany and later retired in 1981.

I then went into over-the-road trucking and retired in 2002 from that.

After a heart attack in 2002, I have been 100% disable. So in other words I set around giving my wife a hard time and others too.

I want to say Welcome Home Everone and its great to talk to all of you.



755th Med Det

Dallas, Texas

1966 - 1967

DOB 3-15-47


Larry Then


Larry Now

Larry's Bio


I now in Dallas, Texas, but I was born and raised in Buffalo,NY.

1966-67 755th Med. Det., 7 June 68-755th Med. Det.,Dec 68-94th Med.Det., 28 March 69-94th Med.Det., 22 Feb.68-HHC 2ND BN/27TH INFANTRY,25TH DIVISION-CU CHI, 3 June 71-28 Jan 72-874th Med.Det., 85th Evac.Hospital, Phu Bai/Hue ,,42 months total in Vietnam , worked the Pharmacy at Camp Holloway/and ran ambush patrols around Camp Holloway with the 52nd Security Detachment.

Regards, Doc Larry


Doctor Anthony S. Klein


94th Med Det




Picture Coming Soon


Picture Comoing Soon



Steve Now

Steve's Bio


I was Flight Surgeon, Battalion Surgeon & Company Surgeon assigned to Camp Holloway in 1963 - 1964

Steve Klein

Doc Bob Kovalak


755th Med Det

Parma, Ohio

1968 - 1969

DOB 8-10-46


Bob Then


Bob Now

Bob's Bio


I was honored to be at Camp Holloway Dispensary from March 21st, 1968 till March 21st, 1969.

Greetings to all of my fellow veterans.

I got drafted into the Army in 1966. After basic training at Fort Benning, I became RA by enlisting for an extra year to attend Medical Laboratory Technician School at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. I then served 1 year at Reynold’s Army Hospital in Fort Sill Oklahoma until getting my orders for Vietnam.

I arrived at Camp Holloway as an E-5 on March 21st, 1968 and served there as a Lab Tech for exactly one year. I was discharged early when I returned, because I only had 4 months to go for my 3 years. My memories of the Docs, Doctors, and everyone else on the base are all good and will live with me forever. I have never regretted serving with such a great group of guys.

Once back home, I married Kathy, my beautiful wife of over 41 years now. We have 3 wonderful children, Daniel, Stephan, and Mary who are all married, Mary being the last in 2010. Our two son’s families make up seven grandchildren for us, 4 girls and 3 boys.

During the last 40 years, I have continued to work in the lab in one way or another. Over 30 of those years were spent working for the Cleveland Clinic first in the lab and then with computers for the labs until I retired in 2008. I was lucky enough to have found a path from the Army training I received at Fort Sam. After retirement, I served as President of my church for a few years. Our family continues to be greatly involved in church life. Kathy and I spend time doing some traveling, babysitting, and just enjoying our family as much as possible. Aint retirement great!

I am grateful that I happened to find this website just googling Dave Cuva one day. What a great, great way to remember everyone and see the old gang again. Much thanks to the “Florida Dude” (A. J. Sartin)  for his efforts to keep us all in touch. It was and still is a privilege and true pleasure to have had the opportunity to live and work with you all. I’m still looking for Phil Madera to beat his pants in ping pong.

Stay healthy everyone and thanks for the memories!

Doc August Oetzel III


94th Med Det

Knoxville, TN

1969 - 1971



Augie Then


Augie Now

Augie's Bio


Hello Brothers and Welcome Home.  I was born and raised in Orange County, NY, then moved to Chicago when I was 17.  I enlisted in the Army two months after my 18th birthday.  I took Basic at Ft. Knox, KY then went to Medic Training at goold ole Ft. Sam.  All of the guys in my training class went straight to Vietnam after our leave.

My first duty was in Khontum with the 154th Med Detachment.  I had a chance to transfer to Pleiku around July 69 and was with the 94th Med Detachment.  It was there that SSG Dorsey and I had an arrangement where I did all of the Patrols and didn't have to work in the Dispensary.  He even gave me Wednesday nites off - what a guy.

In March 1970, I was sent to the Army Hospital at Ft. Jackson.  I went back to RVN in 1970.  I was stationed in Long Binh with the 194th and 136th Med Units.  Returned home in October 71 for discharge.  I enlisted in the Navy in August 1972 and was a Corpsman on a DEG until August 1974. 

I then drifted around until I re-entered the Navy in June 1978,  I was a Corpsman with a Beachmaster Unit on Coronado Island.  I was discharded for the last time in June 1980.

Glad to be back in touch with my Brother Docs from Holloway.  I would like to Thank Doc A. J. for the great work on this WebSite!

Doc Kerry Pardue


755th Med Det

Chandler, AZ

Tour in Vietnam 1968 - 1969

DOB 8-16-47


Kerry Then


Kerry Now

Kerry's Bio


After high school, I attended college for a year.  Got a notice to take my physical by draft board.  I signed up for additional year to become a medic as I was told I would be working at a nice safe hospital instead of going to Vietnam as infantry.   (Never did work in a hospital--I quess they saw me coming.) 

 I was assigned to the 755th Medical Detachment March 23, 1968, was there about 2 months.  From there I went to the 8th Medical in Ban Me Thout with Dr. Mirman and Lloyd Beemer.  We were later joined by Pishlo, Rosenbaum, Wheeling, Reyna, and Wanyo.  Again, I was there about 2 months then was sent to Recon, 2/47th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division in the Delta for the rest of my tour in the field as a field medic.  Let me tell ya,  I was excited no pissed off.  I was wounded and went back to my unit after a brief stay in hospital.  I went home March 23, 1969 a totally changed man.

 I got married about six months later and went to Germany my last 10 months in the Army.  I came back home to Sauk Village, IL and found work right away.

 I went to work at Ford Motor Company but was laid off 3 times within the first 6 months, so I left and became a police officer in Sauk Village, IL.  I was there about 10 months then moved to Newport News, VA where I became a police officer there for the next 8 years.  I earned my AAS and BA degrees in Criminal Justice.  I left the local police department and worked at the Post Office as a carrier.  This was suppose to be temporiary until I finished my background check to become Post Inspector.  I reached age 35 before it was completed and ended up staying a carrier for 10 years and relocated to Scottsdale, AZ and worked as the Public Relations Director for the Postal Service.  After a year my assignment was terminated so I left and went to work for Universal Technical Institute recruiting graduating high school seniors to become automotive/diesel mechanics, autobody technicans, and HVAC technicans.  My terrority for 4 years was the state of Tennessee and I lived in Knoxville in 1998 I transfered to Phoenix, AZ for 3 years and my last assignment was Fresno, CA for 2 years.  I started finding some of the guys I was with in Vietnam while in CA on the internet.  I started writing about my job as a medic.  I have had a reunion with the medics from Ban Me Thout for 3 years and I also see the guys from the 9th Infantry often.  I currently serve as the National Commander, Medics-Corpsmen.  We are a group of medics and corpsmen and nurses who are going to have the first National Medic-Corpsmen reunion June 8-10. 2007 in Branson, MO.  You all are most welcomed to join with us.

 I began filing claims with the VA in 1984,  they denied my claims and I went away.  I had a heart attack and ended up in the VA hospital in 2004,  I reopened my case and was given total disability after the VA admitted they made an error and gave me back pay for 24 years.  I retired two years ago.  I am have PTSD and rated at 100% service connected disablity.

 I have written a book about being a medic that was published April 2005

Would like to hear from those that might remember me. 

Doc A. J. (Marty)Sartin


94th Med Det

Vilano Beach on Veterans Island, FL

4 April 1968 to 17 May 1969

DOB:  7-9-46


A. J. Then


A. J. Now

A. J.'s Bio


For many years, before entering the Service, I was a radio DJ using the “Air Name” Marty Shayne [I also went by Marty in Vietnam]. The last station I worked for before the Army was WROV in Roanoke, Virginia. After returning to the States in May of 1969, I continued my career as a DJ for WROV-AM in Roanoke.  I also married my first wife Valeria.  Later that year, I took a job at WELK-AM in Charlottesville,VA. I received my FCC First Class Engineering License in 1972.

After many years in Roanoke and Charlottesville, VA, I returned to my home town of Knoxville, TN in 1980 to work at Scripps Howards Flagship radio station WNOX-AM as a DJ & Chief Engineer.

Following a year managing WRJZ-AM (where I met and married my second wife Gloria in 1982), we purchased WKGN-AM radio,  a Solid Gold Rock-N-Roll station. After selling WKGN in 1991, I began my TV engineering career. (After being married 8 years, Gloria & I divorced....then after being divorced for 14 years, in 2006, I re-married Gloria.  Happy Times!)

After building two different shop-at-home format TV stations in the Knoxville area, I was hired by one of America's foremost satellite uplink companies, to build and operate a satellite uplink facility near St. Augustine, FL, at the World Golf Village and Hall of Fame (I uplink PGA TOUR golf to satellite, to 143 different countries, world-wide), where I worked at until March 1, 2011, when I retired after 48 years in Broadcasting. I have introduced my last Record, played my last Station Jingle, and Engineered my last show.

Organizations I belong to:

Member St. Johns County, FL Veterans Council

Life Member of Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

Paid Up For Life of American Legion  (AL)

Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA)

Life Member & Commander of Disabled American Veterans FL6 (DAV)

Member of Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association (CVMA)

 Life Member of Vietnam Helicopter Crew Member Association (VHCMA)

I have been in the Civil Air Patrol for over 45 years, and I just retired as Squadron Commander of the St. Johns County, FL Squadron.

Gloria and I, along with my Diabetes Service Dog, Gidget, live on a Barrier Island East of St. Augustine, FL on Vilano Beach and we enjoy Touring Florida, on our Harley-Davidson Road King motorcycle.

I am trying to get this 37 mile island named Veterans Island….click on

Take a look at my personal WebSite by clicking on

It is GREAT to be back in touch with my fellow Camp Holloway Docs & Doctors!

Doc Jim Starkey

94th Med Det

West Virginia

1964 - 1965



Jim Then


Jim Now

Jim's Bio


I joined the Army in  1958.  I was stationed in Berlin Germany 1959-1961 (Berlin HonorGuard) one year.  Okinawa 1962-1963.  Then it was to Pleiku Viet Nam 1964-1965.  I  was the NCOIC for the 94th Med Det.

We worked on the dispensary off & on all the time I was there.  We worked a lot harder on sandbagging after we started getting shelled. I don't remember it, but i got evacted on Feb 7 1965. I spent most of my years in service, working in the E.R.  I was a Medical Platoon Sgt for most of those years.  I got out on a medical in 1971.

I worked for the V.A. Hospital in Clarksburg , WV for 10 yrs as a surgical tech. I retired 6 years ago and now live with my wife and grandson. I also have cancer and I am not doing to well now. I go to church when i am able. I care for my granson and take him to church school in the morning and wait to pick him up at 4 pm everyday. Not a very exciting life.

Live well my friends.

Doctor Wayne Wallace


HHD Med Det

Atchison, Kansas

Fall 1967 to Summer 1968



Wayne Then


Wayne Now

Wayne's Bio


Wayne O. Wallace, Jr., M.D. at Camp Holloway from fall of 1967 to summer 1968.

After my internship in 1965-1966 I was drafted and went to Fort Sam like all the docs. I volunteered for flight surgeon's school at Fort Rucker since I was a pilot and interested in aviation but toward the end of basic training I received orders to go to Fort Devens. All those docs around me had received denials of their request for the flight surgeon training so I went to whoever was in charge and he told me I had been accepted since all the other applicants were already on orders to Nam. I had four young children and knew I had just printed my ticket for Nam but I really thought if I was going to have to serve I wanted to go where the need was greatest (not really noble I just did not want to spend two years as a GMO in some ER). My wife had the movers at her door to move to Massachusetts when I called and cancelled the move. Spent time in San Antonio with my wife and four daughters since flight school was a few weeks away. While all of my family was at the pool one day I asked a guy next to me (who was wearing aviation sun glasses) if he was a pilot and if so what he flew. He said Air Force One and invited the whole family to the air base for a tour since President Johnson was at his ranch. While in the plane with my wife and I in the cockpit looking at all the instruments my 3rd daughter picked up a phone, which happened to be red, and said "hello". On the other end was an FBI agent always "live". Quickly our guide pilot got to the phone and diffused the situation. Really had an enjoyable time at Fort Rucker where we met some great guys and their wives and best of all got to fly all the different helicopters that were used for training. Linda, my wife, remembers living in small quarters in the Daleville Inn We were then sent to Fort Hood as the 2nd Armored Division Flight Surgeon after my course at Fort Rucker.

Got orders to Nam with an aviation unit forming up at Fort Hood and initially went to Tuy Hoa as an Army Flight Surgeon where I managed to get my dispensary painted in air force blue paint (traded for some plexiglass from a crashed Huey); a urinal and a non functioning water heater which stored water on the dispensary roof and gave the dispensary running water as well as a working urinal (traded for penicillin injections used to treat the Pacific A&R Koreans with gonorrhea). By reading the ARs I found the Tuy Hoa dispensary because of the patient volume was entitled to two nice chairs which also had an FSN as a General Officer's chair (one of which my Commanding Officer requisitioned) and a library of medical books. A group of senior officers surveyed my dispensary and had many questions about our goodies. I told them the Air Force dispensary at Tuy Hoa Air Force base saw fewer patients, had air conditioning and more docs as well as female nurses. I want here to give my commanding officers at Tuy Hoa a heartfelt thank you for sending me to Tokyo, Japan just before Christmas of 1966 to a medical meeting (not R&R) and to buy Christmas presents for my wife and children. It happened while eating chow at noon one day when they started out talking among themselves about my lack of medical skills and need for more training; they then told me they were going to get me some more knowledge via a medical meeting in Japan. They really had this wet behind the ears young doc on the ropes for a time.

After Christmas of 1967 I received a promotion (?) to the 52nd Aviation Battalion at Camp Holloway as a Senior Battalion Flight Surgeon, leaving the beautiful sandy beach and ocean at Tuy Hoa and the great French food in nearby Nha Trang. Camp Holloway had red dirt, red dust and mud but it was a lot cooler and a whole lot busier. I was there for the Tet Offensive of 1968, remembering: the pot smoking dispensary Papa San; mortar attacks while sleeping on a cot in the dispensary with my helmet and flak vest on and fighting whoever was with me to get under a desk; sappers killing guards on the perimeter and blowing up helicopters and the next night when some guards were found asleep; two outpost guard posts shooting at each other until the control tower told them to stop; my great first Sargents who got me in and out of trouble; killed sappers who were placed along the civilian entrance to the post (which I had removed as a sanitation issue-although my real motive was that I disagreed with not respecting the dead); MPs accidentally killing a young Vietnamese male picking stuff up out of the dump when they were trying to scare him off by shooting over his head (we took the body into Pleiku where I finally found out you placed all the civilian dead in a shack where relatives came to ID their dead in the evening if they didn't come home); being severely reprimanded by the Commanding Officer for going out on a night patrol with an infantry unit trying to find and suppress mortars-I told him my medics were not infantry trained and I wouldn't ask them to do anything I wouldn't do-but it didn't do any good for my sore sorry ass; the beautiful country from a helicopter while carrying mercenaries into Laos and Cambodia-whoops can I say we did that?; the hooch mates who washed our clothes; the Vietnamese women swabbing the floor in the john around my raised feet while sitting on the pot; the night of the Tet offensive when we had a red alert and a cook, probably drunk, shooting at a Vietnamese worker running to shelter and machine gunning my bed and pillow and the chaplain's desk-thank God we were in bunkers. There are a million other stories and as I am writing they come to mind-some, however, like all of you I still can't talk about even now 43 years later.

I went to a Family Practice residency in San Bernardino, California and came back to Atchison, Kansas (north of KC and Leavenworth on the Missouri River) to practice family medicine and anesthesiology with my father. He died in the late 1970s and I finally have slowed down in March of 2010 no longer practicing family practice and anesthesia. I still practice addiction medicine and continue to do Class 1, 2 and 3 flight physicals for the FAA.

I want to finish by thanking all the folks I worked with both in Tuy Hoa and Camp Holloway. I received a plaque when I left from you guys at Camp Holloway dispensary with whom I worked and it has been a treasured reminder of the great people who made me and should have made the Country proud; unfortunately when we came home it was not to be; we were blamed for killing children and were spit on when we arrived (thank God that has changed). Nonetheless it was a great but very difficult gig made tolerable by the magnificent people we all worked and lived with during tough times.

I have been married for 53 years and I have 4 grown daughters, 9 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.

God bless all of us especially those who did not make it back and those who have departed this earth since they came back. As I age (now 74 years old -  2010) I treasure more and more the memories of that short few months in Nam and finally am able to talk/write about it, at least with fellow veterans. I really love and miss all of you guys; I hope the years have been good to you; and a special thanks to AJ for all the work he has done to keep us together. If I can be of any help to any of you let me know-I am semi-retired so I don't have any money to give but I am current in my medical license and I am more than willing to give advice within limits and certainly if a drug problem exists I can help.

Wayne O. Wallace, Jr., M.D.
1604 N. Second Street
Atchison, Kansas 66002


 Doc George Zathey


94th Med Det


1968 - 1969



George Then


George Now

George's Bio


Info coming soon




Now Taking Care Of The Troops In Heaven





Eddie Rhodes








To ALL Vietnam Veteran Brothers & Sisters WELCOME HOME

Website Designed, Built, & Maintained by: A. J. Sartin
© Copyright 2002 - 2007 by Florida Dude, Inc. All rights reserved.